I have a lot of running thoughts running through my head, so I figured I would take a minute (or 15) to write them down. Since setting a new 10 mile PR (1:08:13) at the Broad Street Run last week and a new 5K PR (19:50) at a local 5K race the week before, I’ve accomplished all the running goals I set for 2016. It’s only May, so now I need more goals. Here are 5:
- Race a 5K at least 2x/month. I slacked on racing this past winter because the weather was miserable and so was I. Now that it’s summer, and I literally live within warmup jogging distance of a 5K race just about every weekend, there is no excuse not to race as much as possible, especially since racing is the only way I’m motivated to do speed workouts. I’d like to continue to chip away at my 5K time. I think I can probably get it down to 19:30ish this summer.
- Reach 60 mile training weeks by September. This is doable. I am a big believer in slooowly increasing mileage in order to stay healthy and injury-free. Could I increase my mileage more quickly and still stay healthy and injury-free? Probably. But I’d rather be safe than sorry. I’m at 50 miles/week right now (I ran about 47.5 the week after Broad Street), so I’m in good shape to take baby steps over the summer.
- Reach 200 monthly miles in May. This goes along with increasing weekly mileage. I’ve come very close to 200 monthly miles before (I think 194 miles is my monthly record) and I believe this is the month I’ll finally hit the 200 mark.
- Keep a weekly long run at a minimum of 10 miles. Because I like to run a decent amount every day (at least 7 miles), I don’t tend to do a real “long” run. I hadn’t run 10 consecutive miles in the few weeks before this year’s Broad Street, and I know that really hurt me in the last three miles of the race. I need to commit to at least one 10 miler a week, which will hopefully increase to a 12/13 miler by the end of summer.
- Be consistent about core strength. I’ve been slacking on my core routine lately, too. I need to get back to working on core at least 2x/week.
Questions for the Internets:
What are your summer running goals?
What’s your favorite time of day to run? (Mine is sunset. ^^^)